Image Courtesy: Instagram
Hong Kong: The fire that broke out in seven residential buildings in Hong Kong has now turned into a major humanitarian crisis. The three-day-long rescue operation was stopped on Friday morning, but by then the deaths of 128 people had been confirmed. More than 200 people are still missing, and their families are continuously trying to get information from the authorities.
There were about 1,984 flats in these buildings, in which about 4,600 people lived. Police have started an investigation to find out how the fire broke out in a complex with such a large population.
The Hong Kong administration said that fire and rescue teams remained engaged for three consecutive days, and the operation was ended at 10 am on Friday. According to Security Secretary Chris Tang, conditions were worst at the Wang Fuk Court buildings in Tai Po. He said that the teams have searched every floor, but it is also possible that more bodies may be found in further investigation by the police.
According to a Xinhua report, more than 200 people are missing. Many families are running day and night between hospitals, relief camps, and police control rooms. Meanwhile, eight people associated with the renovation work have been detained by the authorities. It is alleged that there could be irregularities regarding construction materials and safety standards.
This operation is considered to be one of the biggest recent efforts of Hong Kong.
Police said that it may take three to four weeks to complete the investigation of the entire case.
According to the BBC, the real reason for the spread of the fire is not yet clear, but the Styrofoam installed outside the windows is being viewed with suspicion.
Many survivors said that the fire alarm did not give timely warning; otherwise, many lives could have been saved.
Officials said the fire first broke out in the lower part of Wang Cheong House. The foam present in the perimeter net installed there spread the fire to the entire block within a moment. Due to the high temperature, bamboo scaffoldings also caught fire, and their burning pieces fell and hit other buildings as well.
The residents of the buildings that have been destroyed have been temporarily resettled in about 1,000 vacant flats nearby. The administration is arranging for their basic needs.
The government has announced it will give 200,000 Hong Kong dollars to the families of each deceased. From next week, the affected families will also receive a living allowance of 50,000 Hong Kong dollars. In addition, an emergency relief amount of 10,000 Hong Kong dollars has been started for immediate needs.
Copyright © 2025 Top Indian News
